Subject Leader: Mrs Palmer
English at Saint George’s Primary Phase
At Saint George’s Church of England Primary Phase we aim to give all of our pupils a high quality education in English, which will give them a foundation to speak, read and write fluently. We aim to develop children’s listening and speaking skills, so they are confident to communicate their ideas to others and so as others can communicate effectively with them. We encourage our pupils to read widely and often and inspire children to develop a love of books and a love of reading. As a school we encourage children to read both for pleasure and for information, so they can acquire new knowledge and build upon what they already know. We encourage children to develop a love of writing by choosing high quality texts and interesting topics to base their writing on. We believe in writing for a range of purposes and for children to be able to read back through their writing and begin to self-edit their work.
Our aim in the teaching of English is that all children will:
- Develop the necessary skills to use the English language confidently
- Be able to speak clearly and fluently and have an awareness of the listener
- Be able to read a range of text fluently and accurately
- Be able to write effectively for a range of purposes and audiences, using grammar, punctuation and spelling accurately.
- Be able to reflect and evaluate their own and other’s work and contributions
- Be able to plan and edit their own work
Role of the Subject Leader
It is the responsibility of the English subject leader to:
- Inspire and motivate colleagues to use high-quality, inspiring texts and deliver innovative lessons.
- Update the English policy when required
- Monitor and review English planning across the school
- Monitor and review standards of English teaching through; lesson observations, book scrutinies and samples of work
- Arrange and/or deliver CPD to staff
- Work to develop and improve key areas of English
- Audit English resources to ensure they are effective and fit for purpose