The 16-19 Bursary Fund is a scheme to provide financial support with educational-related costs for students facing financial hardship.
- A student must be aged 16 or over but under 19 on 31st August 2023
Students aged 19 or over must either:
- Be continuing on a study programme they began aged 16-18, or
- Have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC)
There are two types of bursaries available:
- Bursary for students in vulnerable groups. Those defined as in a vulnerable group are:
- In care (those who are privately fostered are not classed as looked after)
- Care leavers (including Special Guardian Orders
- Receives Income Support, and Universal Credit because they are financially supporting themselves and someone who is dependent on them.
- Receiving Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payments as well as Employment and Support Allowance or Universal Credit in their own right.
The bursary for students in vulnerable groups can pay up to £1200 per year to a student.
- The discretionary bursary is for students not in vulnerable groups but meets one of the criteria below
- Are eligible for Free School Meals with a household income below £16,191 per year
- Have a household income of below £20,817 per year.
Each student’s circumstances will be reviewed to decide on the level of discretionary bursary that can be awarded. The discretionary bursary can pay up to £800 per year to a student, dependent on individual circumstances.
Monies received from the 16-19 bursary can be used to support education-related costs such as the cost of transport, books, equipment, educational trips, or meals in school.
Further information regarding the 16-19 bursary fund can be found at https://www.gov.uk/1619-bursary-fund
Students wishing to complete an application for the bursary need to complete this form, supply the necessary evidence, and return all information to the Head of Sixth Form at email@example.com. All information received will be treated in the strictest confidence.
Students who were eligible for a bursary payment in Year 12, must reapply again in Year 13 to continue to receive payment.